In Issue 31, we MEET Di Jobbins, Jennifer Sampou and Gracey Larson. We MAKE quilts covering techniques of all types, from HSTs, HRTs, and foundation piecing in our Curve Illusions quilt, to quilt-as-you-go cathedral windows in our Peekaboo Voyage quilt and share a list of some of our favourite tools to help you with English Paper Piecing, encouraging you to try something new. And we MOTIVATE you with Judy’s ‘Blogging Your Travel in Stitches’ article, sharing her process for creating a quilted travelblog beginning during her retirement ‘gap year’. The result is a fabulous quilt filled with tiny stitched artworks each representing a story, memory or event from her travels. Or maybe you have t-shirts stashed away for a someday t-shirt quilt? Capi shares a touching story ‘Rescued and Re-used’ about losing a friend and creating an heirloom t-shirt quilt for the family. Our regular columnists share tips on perfecting your quarter inch seam, reasons for you to push and shove everybody! (you’ll get it when you read it), and why now is the perfect time for small business owners to reflect on 2019 to plan for 2020. Our gallery this issue is an inspirational wrap up of the prize-winning quilts from the 2019 Australian Modern Quilt Show.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Wanderer Quilt by Paige Anderson (@ponderosacreative)
- Modular Motion Quilt by Jamie Siel (@sewbrainy)
- Two Way Street Quilt by Simge Tarhan (@papatya.designs)
- Peekaboo Voyage Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Flower Path Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Curve Illusions Quilt by Vasudha Govindan (@storiedquilts314)
- Missing Link Cushion by Sarah Scott (@piccolostudio_sarah)
- Turnabout Quilt by Cindy Pieters (@stitchinathome)
- Moonscape Quilt by Moira de Carvalho (@quilttalking)
- Butterfly Waltz Quilt by Cristina de Miranda (@shipsandviolins)
- Linked Quilt by Patty Dudek (@elmstreetquilts)
- Blogging Your Travel in Stitches by Judy Harrison (@showmethequilt)
- Rescued and Re-used – the someday t-shirt quilt by Capi Cloud Cohen (@sewcloudy)
- Gallery: 2019 Modern Quilt Show Australia (@modernquiltshowau)
- Meet the Maker: Di Jobbins (@darlingdi)
- Meet the Maker: Jennifer Sampou (@jennifersampou)
- Meet the Maker: Gracey Larson (@burlapandblossompatterns)
- Tips + Techniques by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): The Small but Mighty Quarter Inch Seam
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Reflecting and Planning
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): Push and Shove Everybody!
- Fabric Love by Chelsea O’Hayre (@pinkdoorfabrics): A Love Affair with EPP
- Library: Zakka from the Heart by Minki Kim, Ombre Quilts by Jennifer Sampou, Mini Masterpieces by Alyce Blyth, and Machine Quilting Idea Book by Vicki Ruebel