There’s more than one way to do anything – this applies to quilting too. While it means there’s always something new to learn or master (this is a good thing!), it also means you can use your favourite technique to achieve your creative vision. We love a challenge to try new things, whether it’s putting together an heirloom modern t-shirt quilt, documenting your trip with fabric or just trying a new-to-you technique. Our makers cleverly dip into their toolboxes of skills to bring their quilts to life.
We MEET designer extraordinaire, Jennifer Sampou, and Gracey Larson of Burlap and Blossom Patterns. New challenges MOTIVATE us, like Capi’s touching story about her modern t-shirt quilts, with tips on how to make your own, or Judy’s story about how she blogged a big trip using fabric. MAKE a striking quilt – we’ve got quite a collection. There’s how to on QAYG cathedral windows, HSTs, HRTs, curved piecing, and great guides to better piecing, whether it’s mastering the ¼” seam or EPP.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
Wanderer Quilt by Paige Anderson (@ponderosacreative)
Modular Motion Quilt by Jamie Siel (@sewbrainy)
Two Way Street Quilt by Simge Tarhan (@papatya.designs)
Peekaboo Voyage Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
Flower Path Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
Curve Illusions Quilt by Vasudha Govindan (@storiedquilts314)
Missing Link Cushion by Sarah Scott (@piccolostudio_sarah)
Turnabout Quilt by Cindy Pieters (@stitchinathome)
Moonscape Quilt by Moira de Carvalho (@quilttalking)
Butterfly Waltz Quilt by Cristina de Miranda (@shipsandviolins)
Linked Quilt by Patty Dudek (@elmstreetquilts)
- Blogging Your Travel in Stitches by Judy Harrison (@showmethequilt)
- Rescued and Re-used – the someday t-shirt quilt by Capi Cloud Cohen (@sewcloudy)
- Gallery: 2019 Modern Quilt Show Australia (@modernquiltshowau)
- Meet the Maker: Di Jobbins (@darlingdi)
- Meet the Maker: Jennifer Sampou (@jennifersampou)
- Meet the Maker: Gracey Larson (@burlapandblossompatterns)
- Tips + Techniques by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): The Small but Mighty Quarter Inch Seam
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Reflecting and Planning
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): Push and Shove Everybody!
- Fabric Love by Chelsea O’Hayre (@pinkdoorfabrics): A Love Affair with EPP
- Library: Zakka from the Heart by Minki Kim, Ombre Quilts by Jennifer Sampou, Mini Masterpieces by Alyce Blyth, and Machine Quilting Idea Book by Vicki Ruebel