Everything old is new again, the trend of recycled fabric quilts included. Of course our foremothers made quilts from old dresses, sheeting and feedsacks – whatever they could lay their hands on. In the years since, we’ve become accustomed to bolts of beautiful fabrics, purpose designed for our quilts. But recycled fabric quilts are making a comeback, with clothing like denim jeans and men’s checked shirts finding new life in quilts. With so much clothing waste and fast fashion, it’s exciting to see people exoloring other options. In a similar vein, some of our projects this issue are scrap friendly, encouraging economical quilting.
In Issue 20, we MEET Tania Denyer, Lissa LaGreca and Sheila Christensen; we MAKE stars, geese and hearts; and we MOTIVATE you to stretch your quilting repertoire beyond quilting fabric with a feature on recycled fabric quilts. We go global by exploring the quilting traditions of India and the magnificent works of the Cairo Tentmakers.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Spritz Quilt by Missy Winona & Kimi Tanner (@onwilliamsstreet)
- Marianne Quilt by Sarah Overton (@mycrowdednest)
- Tiny Tomato Mini Quilt by Tania Denyer (@iamgingerq)
- Global Migration Quilt by Anne Reimer (@plaidnuthatch)
- Scraps Squared Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Stargazing Quilt by Lissa LaGreca (@lovinglylissa)
- Louvre Cushion by Wendy Wild (@pugsandneedles)
- Dream Big Quilt by Anne Boundy (@said_with_love)
- Crumb Block Cushion by Chris English (@afullenglish)
- Desert Diamonds Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Mini Wonders Sampler 2 by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Recycled Fabric by Chris English (@afullenglish)
- Cairo Tentmakers by Lara Motta (@luellabella)
- Quilting Traditions in India by Chitra Balasubramaniam (@visitors2delhi)
- International Quilt Market by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Gallery: #makeitmodernswap by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Meet the Maker: Tania Denyer (@iamgingerq)
- Meet the Maker: Lissa LaGreca (@lovinglylissa)
- Meet the Maker: Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): No Scraps Left Behind
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): What's Your Point of Difference?
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: If you had a Quilting Fairy Godmother, what wishes would you request?
- Quilt Group Profile: Monday Modern, Auckland, New Zealand
- Library: Modern Quilts - Designs of the New Century by The Modern Quilt Guild and Wedge Quilt Workshop by Christina Cameli