Quilting community is a big part of our lives at MM, and we have a great appreciation for quilt bees and swaps (in fact, the three of us cemented our friendship in a quilt bee). We have an article on quilt bee and swap etiquette; and if you want to make quilts for charity, we tell you about Aussie Hero Quilts. While being part of the quilting community is inspiring, it’s also important to look for quilt design inspiration all around you Jane offers a crash course on finding quilt design inspiration everywhere.
This issue we MEET Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt, Amber Johnson of Gigi’s Thimble, and the glittery diva, Molli Sparkles. MAKE quilts inspired by vintage blocks or rainbows. There are also pouches, bags and pin cushions to sew. MOTIVATE yourself with a how-to on finding inspiration for quilt designs, and further explore that modern quilting staple, alternate grid work. Also, embrace the popularity of adult colouring books and use them as a free motion quilting design tool.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$10, CA$11, €8 or £7).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Vintage Ways Quilt by Amy Garro (@13spools)
- Leafy Zip Pouch by Emily Lang (@mommysnaptime)
- Sunburst Squares Quilt by Bec Proschogo (@skyberries)
- Through the Prism Mini Quilt by Melissa Dunworth (@sewbittersweetdesigns)
- Demin Cathedral Windows Quilt by Lara Motta (@luellabella)
- Colour Boxes Quilt by Sue Abrey
- Scrappy Star Pincushion by Sonia Spence (@fabricandflowersuk)
- Love Song Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Seeing Stars Mini Quilt by Amber Johnson (@gigis_thimble)
- Unlocked Quilt by Kitty Wilkin (@nightquilter)
- Laptop Bag by Lisa Chambers (@chambsvacc)
- Sunny Disposition Quilt by Barbara Ramirez
- Kaleidoscope Quilt Sampler Part 1 by Lori Hartman (@lorihartmandesigns)
- Sewing with Kids: Butterfly Messenger Bag by Tricia Mathis (@quiltbugcreations)
- Quilt Inspired Jewellery from Jessee (@jessee_artschooldropout)
- Quilt Bees & Swap Etiquette by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Charity Quilting: Aussie Hero Quilts (@aussieheroquilts)
- Quilt Design Inspiration by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gallery: Australian Modern Quilt Show by the Wollongong MQG (@wollongongmqg)
- Meet the Maker: Heidi Staples (@fabricmutt)
- Meet the Maker: Amber Johnson (@gigis_thimble)
- Meet the Maker: Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Alternative Grid Work
- Domestic Quilting Goddess, Melissa Gottliebsen (@msmidge): Free Motion Colouring
- MQG Profile: Phoenix, Arizona, USA (@phxmqg)
- Ask the Makers: What do you watch or listen to while you quilt?
- Library: All Points Patchwork by Diane Gilleland, Wanderlust Quilts by Amanda Leins, DIY Block Design by Alyce Blyth, and A Bit of Applique by Amy Struckmeyer