No matter how long you’ve been quilting, there’s likely to be something you haven’t tried yet and at MM, we don’t assume you’re a beginner quilter just because you’re drawn to modern fabrics. Many of us have years of experience under our belts, but that doesn’t mean we don’t need a bit of encouragement to step out of our quilty comfort zones. That’s why we offer plenty of techniques to inspire you (and ourselves) to try something new.
This issue, there’s no shortage of techniques to try. MAKE an appliqued beauty, or try curved piecing, English paper piecing, foundation paper piecing, quilt as you go or selvage sewing. MOTIVATE yourself with geometric design and brave thread choices in quilting; and learn all about the different thread types. MEET one of modern quilting’s most popular fabric designers, Alison Glass; Australian quilter Rachel McCormack, and American quilter Cristy Fincher.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Sultan Curved Piecing Quilt by Casey York (@caseyyorkdesign)
- Georgia Jane Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Geometric Sewing Machine Mini Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Imogen Quilt by Sarah Boyle (@bluebirdcreates)
- Glow Stick Quilt by Cristy Fincher (@cristycreates)
- Schniddles Cushion by Carlie Lincoln (@quilty_carlie)
- Intersections Quilt by Kristi McDonough (@schnitzelandboo)
- Pipi Curved Piecing Quilt by Rachel McCormack (@rachelwoodenspoon)
- Gadget Cover by Alex of Bluebird Fabrics (@bluebirdfabrics)
- Changing Tides Table Runner by Lori Hartman (@lorihartmandesigns)
- Modern Selvedge Cushion by Lori Miller (@lorimillerdesigns)
- Comfort Quilt by Kelly Elliott (@thequiltmachine)
- Aurora Sampler Quilt Part 6 by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Sewing with Kids: QAYG cushion by Tricia Mathis (@quiltbugcreations)
- Threads for Quilting by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Going Geometric by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Sewing Machine Portraits by Sonja Callaghan (@artisania)
- Australasian Quilt Convention: A Modern Quilter’s Perspective by Melissa Gottliebsen (@msmidge)
- Gallery: Kitten Mini Quilt Swap hosted by Marnie (@frankiesfabrics)
- Meet the Maker: Cristy Fincher (@cristycreates)
- Meet the Maker: Alison Glass (@alisonglass)
- Meet the Maker: Rachel McCormack (@rachelwoodenspoon)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Calculating Backing Fabric
- Domestic Quilting Goddess, Melissa Gottliebsen (@msmidge): Choosing Thread Colour for Quilting
- MQG Profile: Greater Western Sydney, Australia
- Ask the Makers: Do you have a quilty fear...something you haven't tried yet?
- Library: Learn to Quilt-As-You-Go by Gudrun Erla, Boutique Bags by Sue Kim, Savor Each Stitch by Carolyn Friedlander