Shopping for fabric is one of our favourite quilty chores, but sometimes the stash gets out of control and quilters guilt sets in, which is when you have to start sewing your stash. Fortunately, we have plenty of tips for how to sew your stash, and projects to inspire, including solid quilt fabric patterns and cute animal quilts.
MEET Anorina Morris of Samelia’s Mum, Stephanie Kendron of the Modern Sewciety podcast, and April Cobb of the digital printing company Modern Yardage. We also feature the Modern Quilt Guild, so you can learn more about this international group. MAKE stunning solid quilts, graphic pop culture quilts, or cute animal quilts (elephants and Australian animals, oh my!). Techniques to try this issue include applique, embroidery, patchwork, matchstick quilting and foundation paper piecing. MOTIVATE yourself to sew your stash, with great tips on stash busting (and projects to do it with), and be inspired by a showcase from the Bloggers Quilt Festival.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Radiant Quilt by Lori Hartman (@lorihartmandesigns)
- #emphasis Quilt by Caroline Press (@trilliumdesign)
- Ellie's Elephants Animal Quilt by Tricia Mathis (@quiltbugcreations)
- Aussie Animal Quilt by Casey York (@caseyyorkdesign)
- Interlocked Mini Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Scrappy Camera Strap by Stephanie Kendron (@modernsewciety)
- Under the Nordic Sky Quilt by Shannon Mower
- Candy Dash Mini Quilt by Adrianne Reid (@adrianneonthewindyside)
- To Scale Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Yesterday Quilt by Cheryl Brickey (@meadowmistdesigns)
- Sidewalk Cafe Mini Quilt by Soma Acharya
- Shoo Fly Food Covers by Lara Motta (@luellabella)
- Aurora Sampler Quilt Part 4 by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Sewing with Kids: Luggage Tags by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Sew Your Stash by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Sewing For Sydney hosted by Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Modern Quilt Guild (@themqg)
- Dear Diary, I Went to QuiltCon! by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Gallery: Blogger's Quilt Festival hosted by Amy Ellis (@amyscreativeside)
- Meet the Maker: Anorina Morris (@sameliasmum)
- Meet the Maker: Stephanie Kendron (@modernsewciety)
- Meet the Maker: April Cobb (@modernyardage)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Resize Quilt Blocks
- Domestic Quilting Goddess, Melissa Gottliebsen (@msmidge): Matchstick Quilting
- MQG Profile: Wollongong, Australia (@wollongongmqg)
- Ask the Makers: If the quilt police existed, what would you be arrested for?
- Library: Sew Organised for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples, Quick Column Quilts by Nancy Zieman, Make It Take It by Krista Hennebury