Quilting is about way more than just creating colourful bed coverings (though that’s totally a legit thing!). Anyone who’s been quilting a while knows that it’s great therapy, as a source of relaxation and a way of keeping our creative brains firing. We also know that constant improvement of our craft is a worthwhile goal – and this issue we discover that you can make tiny changes to get big results. We play with classic piecing, applique, EPP and more – and celebrate colour with our gallery of rainbow quilts.
We MEET three incredible makers – Lauren Wright from Molly and Mama, our insta-crush Saija Kiiskinen, and Meghan Buchanan from Then Came June.; we MAKE rainbow quilts, pinwheels and the prettiest little project pouch; and we MOTIVATE readers to improve their practice with an article on applying Aggregation of Marginal Gains to quilting (intrigued?), help them understand how quilting is good for them, and we introduce our brand new Techniques + Tips column by Alyce Blyth.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Rainbow Colour Wheel Quilt by Sue Bone (@justsewsue)
- Lotus Blossoms Quilt by Amanda McCabe (@jamesandgraciehandmade)
- Pinwheel Garden Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Pretty Pinwheels Cushion by Sarah Scott (@piccolostudio_sarah)
- On Point Pouch by Lauren Wright (@mollyandmama)
- Cosy Blooms Quilt by Michelle Roberts (@michelle_creativeblonde)
- Square Illusions Quilt by Jen Shaffer (@patternsbyjen)
- Terali Quilt by Danielle Gallagher (@stitchcentral)
- Mixin’ It Up Quilt by Velda Roy (@freckledfoxquiltery)
- Pencil Pusher Quilt by Kerry Foster (@pennydog)
- Dresden Escape Quilt by Cindy Kratzer and Sandra Dennison (@graybarndesignsquilts)
- Medley Medallion Sampler Quilt Part 6 by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Why is Quilting Good For Us by Vicki Holloway (@vickihollowayquilting)
- Using Science to Improve Your Quilting by Kerry Foster (@pennydog)
- Quilted Clothing from Rachel Andrew (@itssewrachel)
- Gallery: #sewtherainbow
- Meet the Maker: Lauren Wright (@mollyandmama)
- Meet the Maker: Saija Kiiskinen (@saija_elina)
- Meet the Maker: Meghan Buchanan (@thencamejune)
- Tips + Techniques by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Cutting Fabric
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Customer Service
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): Basting Basics
- Fabric Love by Chelsea O’Hayre (@pinkdoorfabrics): Christmas is in the Air!
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Modern Quilt Guild: Central Virginia MQG, Richmond, Virginia, USA (@cvamqg)
- Library: Rainy Day Sewing by Amy Sinibaldi and Kristyne Czepuryk, Quilt by Color by Susan Ache, The Storyteller’s Sampler Quilt by Cinzia White, and The Visual Guide to Creative Straight-Line Quilting by Natalia Whiting Bonner