At Make Modern we believe in pushing ourselves creatively, while keeping it real and achievable. Sometimes when we look at the productivity of everyone in our quilt group or on social media, we forget we are looking at the collective skill of hundreds of quilters. You can’t make everything you see, no way, no how.
But you can make some of the things, and we have plenty of inspiration! MAKE great geometric quilts – in monotones and rainbow; or try a gorgeous patchwork designs based on the classic squares and half square triangles. Try smaller projects like coasters, mini quilts and table runners. Get MOTIVATED to master half square triangles with Alyce Blyth, and brush up on free motion quilting. Plan your quilty year with some New Year’s Resolutions for quilters. And MEET Angie Wilson of Gnome Angel fame, and Jera Brandvig of Quilting in the Rain, and a master of quilt as you go. We also chat to iconic fabric designer Kate Spain about her stunning collections for Moda Fabrics.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Subdivision Quilt by Kathy Thorncraft (@iamcraftykat)
- Rainbow Cross Quilt by Sandi Sawa Hazlewood (@craftyplanner)
- Not So Contrary Wife Quilt by Kelly Gleeson (@madebykelly22)
- Shards Half Square Triangle Cushion by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Coasting Along Coasters by Jera Brandvig (@quiltingintherain)
- Timeline Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Bricks and Stones Mini Quilt by Jessica Vetor (@jessicaquilter)
- Space Invaders Quilt by Sarah Boyle (@bluebirdcreates)
- Square in There Table Runner by Erin McPartland (@onceuponadonkey)
- Wonky Dresden Cushion by Louise Orth (@lmstudiolou)
- Shooting Stars FPP Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Centre of the Universe Quilt by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel)
- Aurora Sampler Quilt Part 3 by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Sewing with Kids: Library Bags by Brooke
- Quilting with Chronic Illness from Cassandra (@cassandracrafted) & Fiona (@bendigolioness)
- New Year's Resolutions for Quilters by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gaining a Competitive Edge by S-J Rice (@sjmakesquilts)
- Terra Australis Fabric from Emma Jean Jansen (@emmajeanjansen)
- Quilt Market Trends by Anne Beier (@hudsonvalleyquilts)
- Gallery: Charm Along Aussie Charm Swaps hosted by Melissa (@msmidge)
- Meet the Maker: Jera Brandvig (@quiltingintherain)
- Meet the Maker: Kate Spain (@katespain)
- Meet the Maker: Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Half Square Triangles
- Domestic Quilting Goddess, Melissa Gottliebsen (@msmidge): Free Motion Quilting
- Ask the Makers: What's your quilty new year's resolution?
- Library: Vintage Vibe by Amber Johnson, Graphic Quilts from Everyday Images by Heather Scrimsher, Think Big by Amy Ellis, and Paper Pieced Modern by Amy Garro