Don’t you love how quilts always have something to say? When you’re making them, listen closely and you’ll hear them tell you not to pair those prints, or to quilt me this way, or to bind it in red. When they’re done, they might be sharing a political message or secret symbols or a family in-joke. They might showcase a cultural icon or an optical illusion like a transparency quilt. Or their message might be as simple as this quilter is really into blue right now. In any case, quilting gives us a voice to share our ideas via fabric (and sometimes makes us hear voices – please tell me that’s not just me!).
This issue we MEET talented Mister Domestic AKA Mathew Boudreaux, precut queen Anne Boundy and our very own Lara Motta. We get MOTIVATED by transparency quilts and learn how to make inspiration boards and alphabet quilts. MAKE striking applique quilts, explore grid quilts, create a stunning medallion quilt from solids or stitch up a cute enamel pin holder.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Aggregation Quilt by Mathew Boudreaux (@misterdomestic)
- Riding the River Rapids Quilt by Rachel Julia (@kohatupatterns)
- Spinning Stars Quilt by Moira de Carvalho (@quilttalking)
- New Life Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Modern Grey Quilt by Jackie White (@jackiewhitequilts)
- Framed Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Scintillating Grid Quilt by Cindy Krafft (@cascadiaquilts)
- Girl’s Best Friend Quilt by Cindy Kratzer & Sandra Dennison (@graybarndesignsquilts)
- Put a Pin In It Enamel Pin Holder by Anne Boundy (@said_with_love)
- Happy Little Vegemite Cushion by Sarah Scott (@piccolostudio_sarah)
- Motif Quilt by Lauren Engelken (@laurenrengelken)
- Medley Medallion Sampler Quilt Part 5 by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Fun with FPP by Kristy Lea of Quiet Play (@quietplay)
- Ah-Bay-Say, abc: A Bilingual Quilt by Capi Cloud Cohen (@sewcloudy)
- Inspiration Boards by Cat Noonan (@tincatsew)
- Mini Barn Quilts from Amanda McCabe (@jamesandgraciehandmade)
- Gallery: Transparency Quilts from Alisa Kutsel (@astitchinbetween)
- Meet the Maker: Lara Motta (@luellabella)
- Meet the Maker: Mathew Boudreaux (@misterdomestic)
- Meet the Maker: Anne Boundy (@said_with_love)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Diamonds are a Quilter’s Best Friend
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Expect the Unexpected
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): Jacquie Gering
- Fabric Love by Chelsea O’Hayre (@pinkdoorfabrics): New Market Collections
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Modern Quilt Guild: Central Ohio MQG, United States (@centralohiomqg)
- Ask the Makers: Where do you draw your inspiration from?
- Library: Improve Your Practice Free-Motion Quilting by Mitzie Schafer, The Seedling Quilts by Jodi Godfrey, Hidden Treasures by Lori Lee Triplett & Kay Triplett, and Dresden Quilt Blocks Reimagined by Candyce Copp Grisham