A huge part of quilting is colour selection. This is a lot about picking the right complementary colours, playing with warm or cool, picking the right background to make your colours dance, or curating the perfect rainbow… there’s one often overlooked superpower – value. Never, ever underestimate colour value in quilting, that subtle difference in shade is what makes some quilts pop while others fall flat. We look at this issue indepth this issue, with a feature and accompanying project to test your newly-learned skills.
In Issue 28, we MEET makers Moira De Carvalho from Quilt Talking, and Jane Kelly, Make Modern’s very own Editor. We MAKE pixel quilts, mini quilts, get our geese on and tackle curves, applique and EPP. We MOTIVATE you to think about the importance of colour value in quilts, and if you’re an animal person you’ll love our gallery of inspirational animal quilts. If you’re into quilting bees or block swaps, you’ll love Velda’s guide to great quilt blocks for swapping.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Two Tone Geese Quilt by Kelsey Evans (@foxfishe)
- Kissing Arrows Quilt by Amanda McCabe (@jamesandgraciehandmade)
- Mini Pixel Coasters by Alice (@aliceodallas) & Catherine Dutton (@catherineduttonsews)
- Starburst Geese Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Alfred the Alpaca Mini Quilt by Tania Denyer (@iamgingerq)
- Fast Forward Delete by Kate Sandford (@katemustsew)
- Drunkard’s Path Star by Moira de Carvalho (@quilttalking)
- Bubble o’ Bill Mini Quilt by Sarah Scott (@piccolostudio_sarah)
- Kite Cushion by Kerry Foster (@pennydog)
- Multiplication by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Hearts Squared Mini by Sonalee Suchismita (@sonaleeleena)
- Medley Medallion Sampler Quilt Part 4 by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Getting the Glow by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Quilt Leggings from Sheri Cifaldi-Morrill (@wholecirclestudio)
- Bee Block Bonanza by Velda Roy (@freckledfoxquiltery)
- Gallery: Wild About Animal Quilts
- Meet the Maker: Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Meet the Maker: Moira de Carvalho (@quilttalking)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Equalising Equilaterals
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Progress Over Perfection
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): How to Quilt Paisleys
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Modern Quilt Guild: Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA (@fredericksburgmqg)
- Ask the Makers: What’s your favourite technique?
- Library: Whizz Bang! Adventures with Folded Fabric Quilts by Rachaeldaisy, and Step-by-step Texture Quilting by Christina Cameli