We love to offer all kinds of projects in Make Modern, loads of different techniques and varying levels of difficulty. We want to push you outside your comfort zone. We urge you to face your quilty fears straight on and try something new, whether that be piecing eight-at-a-time HSTs!, making triangles from templates, cutting into your favourite charm pack, stitching a 3D quilt, or the precision that comes with using foundation paper piecing to make teeny tiny pineapple blocks, or perhaps pushing you outside your comfort zone just means getting your scraps under control (oh heck yes!). Whatever that may be, we’ve got something new for you to try this issue.
Also in Issue 27, we MEET makers Sarah Elizabeth Sharp from No Hats in the House, who chats to us about how the creative pursuit of quilting is the juxtaposition she needs with her day job as an attorney; Sylvia Schaefer from Flying Parrot Quilts, who finds inspiration in the challenge of making the traditional modern; and HollyAnne Knight from String and Story who loves nothing better than encouraging quilters to be more adventurous. We MAKE hexagons and HSTs, flying geese, 3D flowers, and a patchwork picnic rug which folds to become a bag! And we MOTIVATE you to sew those scraps! We share stunning quilts from the Pineapple Quilt Swap in our gallery, and bring you a pattern to get you started on your own.❤︎ Our business expert Angie helps you plan your business goals; our rockstar quilter HollyAnne talks you through making your own quilting plan; our math expert Alyce teaches us the math behind the simple hexagon; and resident agony aunt Molli Sparkles offers up dating-a-quilter-101 advice, tells you how to tame the conflicting voices in your head during the design process, and helps you get up the nerve to show and tell your quilts.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Rainbow Steps Quilt by Jo Westfoot (@thecraftynomadfleet)
- Swallow Tailed Kite Quilt by Amanda McCabe (@jamesandgraciehandmade)
- Emberlilly Quilt by Missy Winona & Kimie Tanner (@onwilliamsstreet)
- Briar Rose Quilt by Patty Dudek (@elmstreetquilts)
- Inverted Pink Star Quilt by Sylvia Schaefer (@flyingparrotquilts)
- Scrappy Nine Patch Quilt by Pat Forster
- Three Pane’s a Charm Quilt by Anne Boundy (@said_with_love)
- Waterproof Picnic Blanket by Monika Henry (@pennyspoolquilts)
- Wrigley Pillow by Shannon Trimper (@justasimplestitch)
- Modern 3D Flower Quilt by Jackie White (@jackiewhitequilts)
- Pretty Pineapples Pillow by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Medley Medallion Sampler Quilt Part 3 by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Scraps and How to Use Them by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Prototyping & the Creative Process by Laura Henneberry (@commonwealthquilts)
- Honest Fabric from Karlee Porter (@honestfabric)
- Gallery: Pineapple Quilt Swap from Sharon Hurrey (@shoppershaz_swaphost)
- Meet the Maker: Sarah Elizabeth Sharp (@nohatsquilts)
- Meet the Maker: Sylvia Schaefer (@flyingparrotquilts)
- Meet the Maker: HollyAnne Knight from String and Story (@stringandstory)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Hexie Time
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): SMART goals
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): Making a Quilting Plan
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: How do you store your scraps? And how do you use them?