We are passionate about creativity and we believe that creative pursuits are vital for living a well-rounded life, as important as things like exercising to our well-being. Yet many people ignore their creative potential and never get to experience the thrill of making. If we had a dollar for every time we heard ‘I’m not creative’ or ‘I don’t have time’ … we would have plenty of fabric spending money. Creativity can be learned and time can be found if you want to make it a priority. This issue, Vicki Holloway teaches us how to develop a quilting system to help us get sew in small bursts of time. Before you go back to Instagram or Netflix, take a few minutes to read her article, and then start planning where you can fit more quilting in. You’ll thank us! Also in Issue 25, we MEET makers Elizabeth Hartman, Tiffany Horn, and Brooke Osborne. We MAKE a start on our new Medley Medallion sampler, a quilt periodic table to appease our inner geek, starry quilts, paper pieced quilts, and cushions! And we MOTIVATE you to try adding some text to your quilts with a whole gallery of inspiring ways to let your quilts do the talking. To motivate you further, our quilt business expert Angie recommends her top four podcasts for creative entrepreneurs, our math expert Alyce shares her tips for making economy blocks of all sizes, our Rockstar quilter HollyAnne teaches us how to learn new quilting motifs by doodling, and our agony aunt Molli Sparkles gives us the giggles with his answers to reader questions about rulers, works in progress and quilt labels. With 13 quilty articles and 13 inspiring modern patterns, you’ll be spoilt for choice with our twenty-fifth issue!
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Flock of Stars Quilt by Tiffany Horn (@villageboundquilts)
- Hexametric Quilt by Katy Devlin (@lethargiclass)
- Forest Friendship Baby Quilt by Erin Young (@berrypatchcottage)
- Bush Gum Blossoms Cushion by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Coastal Breeze Quilt by Kelli Marshall (@simplymackbeth)
- Hide and Seek Quilt by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Tic Tac Tango Quilt by Velda Roy (@freckledfoxquiltery)
- Quilty Periodic Table Mini Quilt by Brooke Osborne (@ohsewbrooke)
- Makes You Happy Mini Quilt by Sam Hunter (@huntersds)
- Happy Hour Mini Quilt by Vicki Holloway (@vickihollowayquilting)
- Rising Star Quilt by Lissa LaGreca (@lovinglylissa)
- Starburst Quilt by Moira de Carvalho (@quilttalking)
- Medley Medallion Sampler Quilt Part 1 by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Quilts on the Catwalk by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Developing a Quilting System by Vicki Holloway (@vickihollowayquilting)
- Gallery: Fontastic! Using Text in Quilts by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Meet the Maker: Elizabeth Hartman (@elizabethagh)
- Meet the Maker: Tiffany Horn (@villageboundquilts)
- Meet the Maker: Brooke Osborne (@ohsewbrooke)
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): FMQ – learn new quilting motifs by doodling
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): The Quilting Economy
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Podcasts
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: What is your favourite quilting technique?
- Quilt Group Profile: Winchester Modern Quilters, Virginia, USA
- Library: Zakka Home by Seder Imer, Quilt Big by Jemima Flendt, Pin Pals by Carrie Nelson, and Kaffe Fassett’s Quilts in America by Kaffe Fassett