The biggest challenge for many quilters is the quilting. For a handful of us it’s the favourite part of the process and a key element of the overall quilt design. But for many more – as evidenced by the quilt tops languishing in cupboards or sent to longarmers – it’s a challenge, a source of frustration, a necessary evil. We often hear from quilters who wish they were better at quilting, who regret not learning to quilt when they first learned to piece. In this issue, we chat to quilters Mitzie Schafer, who shares her concept of Quilt Yoga, teaching us how you can prepare your mind and body for the act of machine quilting to help you ‘feel’ the quilting, HollyAnne Knight of String & Story who introduces her new regular machine quilting column. Also in Issue 24, we MEET makers Krista Moser from The Quilted Life, Jenny Haynes from Papper, Sax, Sten, and Florence Knapp of Flossie Teacakes, a master of English Paper Piecing and fussy cutting. We MAKE a stunning cow quilt (or a llama one if you’d prefer), selvedge stars, paper pieced quilts, a simple but effective modern baby quilt and the sweetest little zip pouch. And we MOTIVATE you to get your whole family involved with our story on families who quilt together. We also visit the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show and bring you a whole gallery of those cutesy Polaroid quilt blocks. Our math expert Alyce helps us with ideas to use Jelly Rolls, quilt business expert Angie discusses the importance of giving yourself time out so you don’t burn out, and Molli Sparkles makes us laugh with his replies to readers about Liberty love, being a unicorn in the quilting world, and finding that perfect pattern. At 136 pages, our biggest issue yet is bound to keep you busy for hours!
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Here’s Your Sign Quilt by Mitzie Schafer (@jitterywings)
- Sew and Sew Zip Pouch by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Stella Cushion by Lauren Wright (@mollyandmama)
- Night Sky Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Paper Round Quilt by Jenny Haynes (@pappersaxsten)
- Tilt-a-Whirl Quilt by Velda Roy (@freckledfoxquiltery)
- Selvedge Stars Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Modern Baby Quilt by Annalise Nawrocki (@socialsew)
- Up and Away Mini Quilt by Lorna Costantini (@lornacost)
- Roses in Bloom Quilt by Rashida Khanbhai (@no3quiltstudio)
- Mini Wonders Sampler 6 by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Families who Quilt Together by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Quilt Yoga by Mitzie Schafer (@jitterywings)
- Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gallery: Polaroid Greeting Swap from Johanna Weidner (@johannaweidner)
- Meet the Maker: Krista Moser (@krista_moser)
- Meet the Maker: Jenny Haynes (@pappersaxsten)
- Meet the Maker: Florence Knapp (@flossieteacakes)
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): Tension for Quilting
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Jelly Rolls
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Time Out
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: How did you learn to quilt?
- Quilt Group Profile: Maritime Modern Quilt Guild, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada (@_maritimemqg)
- Library: Adventures in Paper Piecing & Design by Sarah Elizabeth Sharp, Boho Embroidery by Nichole Vogelsinger, Modern Quilts Block by Block by Emily Dennis, and Diary in Stitches by Minki Kim