We’ve been following the interest in modern quilting for years, and while there are some hallmarks of modern quilting, one of the things we’ve noticed is that naturally quilters want to expand their skills as they become more accomplished. This has meant the traditional slow sewing of English paper piecing has gained popularity, and techniques like applique, FPP and curved piecing are also commonly explored. While most quilters start with piecing basic blocks, it’s natural to want to try out new things, something we avidly support and advocate, even if it means the idea of ‘modern’ gets a bit blurry at times.
In Issue 24, we MEET Krista Moser, Jenny Haynes and the queen of English paper piecing, Florence Knapp. There’s a huge range of projects to MAKE, which use techniques ranging from basic piecing to curves to English paper piecing to applique to foundation paper piecing. We MOTIVATE you to share quilting with your loved ones, meeting families who quilt together.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Here’s Your Sign Quilt by Mitzie Schafer (@jitterywings)
- Sew and Sew Zip Pouch by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Stella Cushion by Lauren Wright (@mollyandmama)
- Night Sky Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Paper Round Quilt by Jenny Haynes (@pappersaxsten)
- Tilt-a-Whirl Quilt by Velda Roy (@freckledfoxquiltery)
- Selvedge Stars Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Modern Baby Quilt by Annalise Nawrocki (@socialsew)
- Up and Away Mini Quilt by Lorna Costantini (@lornacost)
- Roses in Bloom Quilt by Rashida Khanbhai (@no3quiltstudio)
- Mini Wonders Sampler 6 by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Families who Quilt Together by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Quilt Yoga by Mitzie Schafer (@jitterywings)
- Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gallery: Polaroid Greeting Swap from Johanna Weidner (@johannaweidner)
- Meet the Maker: Krista Moser (@krista_moser)
- Meet the Maker: Jenny Haynes (@pappersaxsten)
- Meet the Maker: Florence Knapp (@flossieteacakes)
- Quilt Like a Rock Star by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory): Tension for Quilting
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Jelly Rolls
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Time Out
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: How did you learn to quilt?
- Quilt Group Profile: Maritime Modern Quilt Guild, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada (@_maritimemqg)
- Library: Adventures in Paper Piecing & Design by Sarah Elizabeth Sharp, Boho Embroidery by Nichole Vogelsinger, Modern Quilts Block by Block by Emily Dennis, and Diary in Stitches by Minki Kim