Let's talk about fabric. At MM we love everything about quilting, but we especially love our fabric stashes and while we work to have curated stashes full of usable fabric, we’re not believers in fabric diets or limiting your fabric collection. Can you imagine asking a painter to limit their collection of paints? One of our favourite things is the giddy excitement of pulling fabric for a new project and this issue we’re giving you tips on successful fabric pulls. We also encourage you to consider the unsung heroes of the fabric world – solid fabrics – with a stack of inspirational solid fabric quilts.
In this issue, we MEET the inspirational makers Colby Radcliffe, Robyn Shapiro and Jenifer Dick. We MOTIVATE you to master the art of pulling fabric for great quilts, and we also encourage you to use some of your stash to create some quick sewing makes that’ll help you ditch single-use and save the planet. Projects you can MAKE include cute heart quilt patterns, sweet needlebooks and stunning solid fabric quilts.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Mosaic Quilt by Sarah Scott (@piccolostudio_sarah)
- Desert Angles Quilt by Paige Anderson (@thewildsweetpea)
- Pink Hearts Table Runner by Monika Henry (@pennyspoolquilts)
- Ruins Quilt by Kelsey Evans (@foxfishe)
- Bifold Mini Needlebook by Lesley Chaisson (@berry_birdy)
- Emma Kate Quilt by Susan Smith
- Harlequin Twist Quilt by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Heart of the Home Quilt by Robyn Shapiro (@the_strawberry_thief)
- Cross Stitch Heart Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Round Trip Quilt by Lucy Gamber (@quiltfire_studios)
- Sequence Quilt by Patty Dudek (@elmstreetquilts)
- Mini Wonders Sampler 5 by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Fabric Pulling Tips by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Birthstone Series by MJ Kinman (@mjkinman709)
- Eco Friendly Sewing by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gallery: Pets on Quilts by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Meet the Maker: Colby Radcliffe (@theauthenticstitch)
- Meet the Maker: Robyn Shapiro (@the_strawberry_thief)
- Meet the Maker: Jenifer Dick (@jeniferdick)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): The Layer Cake Cook Book
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Diversify
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: Which comes first - fabric or pattern?
- Quilt Group Profile: Italian Modern Quilt Guild
- Library: Stitch & Sew by Aneela Hoey, and You and Your Sewing Machine by Bernie Tobisch