Let's talk about fabric. At MM we frequently have conversations about our fabric stashes. Sometimes it's guilt over the amount or along the lines of needing a new fabric collection. Other times we wonder how to tame our scrap collection (which seems to breed on its own)! The word 'stash' often has a negative connotation and feelings of guilt, like your fabric collection is something that should be squirreled away, hidden from view. Which is perfectly feasible if its to protect it from light or bugs, but not if you're talking about hiding it from your family and friends.
In Issue 23, we bring you tips on shopping your own stash. We MEET Colby from The Authentic Stitch, Robyn Shapiro from The Strawberry Thief, the Australian distributor for Liberty of London fabrics, and Jenifer Dick from 42quilts.com. We MAKE abstract, geometric and pixel quilts. And we MOTIVATE you to sew your stash and save the planet with a wealth of DIY projects and ideas to make eco-friendly gifts and things to help you reduce plastic waste in your home. Our math expert Alyce helps us slice and dice our layer cakes to perfection and for those of you in the quilt business, Angie chats about how important it is to diversify your business. And just for fun, we bring you an entire gallery of pets on quilts! Plus 12 stunning modern quilt projects bound to get you inspired to sew!
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Mosaic Quilt by Sarah Scott (@piccolostudio_sarah)
- Desert Angles Quilt by Paige Anderson (@thewildsweetpea)
- Pink Hearts Table Runner by Monika Henry (@pennyspoolquilts)
- Ruins Quilt by Kelsey Evans (@foxfishe)
- Bifold Mini Needlebook by Lesley Chaisson (@berry_birdy)
- Emma Kate Quilt by Susan Smith
- Harlequin Twist Quilt by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Heart of the Home Quilt by Robyn Shapiro (@the_strawberry_thief)
- Cross Stitch Heart Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Round Trip Quilt by Lucy Gamber (@quiltfire_studios)
- Sequence Quilt by Patty Dudek (@elmstreetquilts)
- Mini Wonders Sampler 5 by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Fabric Pulling Tips by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Birthstone Series by MJ Kinman (@mjkinman709)
- Eco Friendly Sewing by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gallery: Pets on Quilts by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Meet the Maker: Colby Radcliffe (@theauthenticstitch)
- Meet the Maker: Robyn Shapiro (@the_strawberry_thief)
- Meet the Maker: Jenifer Dick (@jeniferdick)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): The Layer Cake Cook Book
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Diversify
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: Which comes first - fabric or pattern?
- Quilt Group Profile: Italian Modern Quilt Guild
- Library: Stitch & Sew by Aneela Hoey, and You and Your Sewing Machine by Bernie Tobisch