There’s something magical about the simplicity of one block quilts. The design repetition makes it the perfect way to showcase favourite fabrics and shapes. Of course, this doesn’t mean the quilts need to be boring or symmetrical – employ modern techniques like changing the scale, gradation of colour or rotating blocks to create a secondary design. We’ve got lots of great patterns celebrating one block quilts this issue, and a feature on the subject to help you better design your one block wonders.
We also MEET Rachaeldaisy, Cath Hall of Wombat Quilts and Carl Hentsch, and are inspired by their love of colour and design and passion for the craft. We MOTIVATE you to share your quilts with the world with our gallery showcase of Australian quilts featured at QuiltCon, and include a wrap on the greatest event on the modern quilting calendar. We MAKE quilts featuring rainbows, solids and texture.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Epic Bow Tie Quilt by Jen Van Orman (@heritage.threads)
- Moon Cabin Cushion by Bec Proschogo (@skyberries)
- Rainbow Paint Can Quilt by Anne Boundy (@said_with_love)
- Modern Irish Chain Quilt by Nancy Scott (@masterpiecequilting)
- Autumn Wreath Mini Quilt by Victoria Peat (@victoriapeat)
- Canadian Diamonds Quilt by Monika Henry (@pennyspoolquilts)
- Pinwheel Hop Quilt by Cat Connolly (@sewdarnoverit)
- One Got Out Quilt by Mitzie Schafer (@jitterywings)
- Joy Blooms Quilt by Katy Devlin (@lethargiclass)
- Textured Quilt by Robbin Flockhart (@sewfarmquilter)
- Morse Code Quilt by Shannon Trimper (@justasimplestitch)
- Mini Wonders Sampler 4 by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- One Block Wonders by Jen Van Orman (@heritage.threads)
- The Here and Elsewhere Bee Quilt by Andrea Tsang Jackson (@3rdstoryworkshop)
- QuiltCon 2018 by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Gallery: Aussies Take QuiltCon by Tara Glastonbury (@stitchandyarn)
- Meet the Maker: Rachaeldaisy (@bluemountaindaisy)
- Meet the Maker: Carl Hentsch (@3dogdesignco)
- Meet the Maker: Cath Hall (@wombatquilts)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): The Charm Offensive
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Email. Email. Email.
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: Who is your quilty crush?
- Quilt Group Profile: Chicago Sewing Social, USA (@chicagosewingsocial)
- Library: Flossie Teacake's Guide to English Paper Piecing by Florence Knapp, Fat Quarter Favorites compiled by Karen M Burns, Child's Play Quilts by Stacey Day, and Make Your Own Medallion by Erin Burke Harris