Quilting is about more than just time in front of the sewing machine – like any hobby or business you’re passionate about, organisation is the key to efficient quilting. There’s something to be said for managing your quilting time and also for designing a functional sewing space, these things help you get stuff done on a daily basis. But equally important is preserving the memories of our quilts for future generations. We go in depth on documenting quilts so that your legacy is more than simply ‘Maker Unknown, circa 2010’. It doesn’t have to be complex, but it’s important you find a way to document your body of work, whether you’re a professional quilter or a hobbyist.
In Issue 21, we MEET international quilt superstar Libs Elliott, and Australian designers Jen Kingwell and Rachelle Denneny; we MAKE traditional blocks with a modern twist; and we MOTIVATE you to manage your quilty time with the goal of finding more minutes in the day to spend quilting and documenting quilts.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Starburst Mini Quilt by Jenn McMillan (@jennmcmillan)
- Dogwood Blossoms Quilt by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory)
- Petals Mini Quilt by Lesley Chaisson (@berry_birdy)
- Eat Up Hot Pads by Katy Devlin (@lethargiclass)
- Floral Burst Quilt by Ashleigh Snigg (@ashbreedesigns)
- Ribbon Rings Quilt by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Banners Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Lattice Quilt by Jenn Nevitt (@mommysew)
- Cross Stitch Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Charming Baby Quilt by Andree Faubert (@quiltinglearningcombo)
- Mini Wonders Sampler 3 by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Time Management for Quilters by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Documenting Your Quilts by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Grow With Me Quilt from Rachel Rossi (@designsbyrr)
- Gallery: Your Sewing Spaces by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Meet the Maker: Libs Elliott (@libselliott)
- Meet the Maker: Jen Kingwell (@jenkingwell)
- Meet the Maker: Rachelle Denneny (@rachelledennenydesigns)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): One HRT at a Time
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Changes
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: What's your favourite thing about your sewing space?
- Quilt Group Profile: Indianapolis Modern Quilt Guild, Indiana, USA (@indymqg)
- Library: Oh Scrap by Lissa Alexander, Modern Plus Sign Quilts by Cheryl Brickey & Paige Alexander, Stash Statement by Kelly Young, and Nine-Patch Revolution by Jenifer Dick & Angela Walters