In Issue 21, we MEET international quilt superstar Libs Elliott, and Australian designers Jen Kingwell and Rachelle Denneny; we MAKE traditional blocks with a modern twist; and we MOTIVATE you to manage your quilty time with the goal of finding more minutes in the day to spend quilting. But getting more done is only one thing. It's also important to document our bodies of work, both the process and the finished product. Something you may already know if you've ever seen a historical quilt with a caption like: Maker unknown, USA, circa 1910. How will future generations - both your family and perhaps historians or collectors - know about your work if you don't document it? Our Editor delves into how to keep track of your quilty legacy, with tips and tricks to help.
Another important factor in creating the organised quilter is having a place to sew, and we've devoted our gallery this issue to peeking into some of our favourite quilter's sewing rooms to see how others set up their work space. If you need help designing your perfect space, or you just like looking at pretty stacks of fabric (guilty as charged here!), you'll love these rooms! In terms of quilty business, our Hustle columnist Angie brings you her top five strategies for dealing with change in your creative business. All this plus 11 beautiful modern quilt projects is bound to get you excited and rearing to get making!
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Starburst Mini Quilt by Jenn McMillan (@jennmcmillan)
- Dogwood Blossoms Quilt by HollyAnne Knight (@stringandstory)
- Petals Mini Quilt by Lesley Chaisson (@berry_birdy)
- Eat Up Hot Pads by Katy Devlin (@lethargiclass)
- Floral Burst Quilt by Ashleigh Snigg (@ashbreedesigns)
- Ribbon Rings Quilt by Cathy Victor (@catequilter)
- Banners Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Lattice Quilt by Jenn Nevitt (@mommysew)
- Cross Stitch Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Charming Baby Quilt by Andree Faubert (@quiltinglearningcombo)
- Mini Wonders Sampler 3 by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Time Management for Quilters by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Documenting Your Quilts by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Grow With Me Quilt from Rachel Rossi (@designsbyrr)
- Gallery: Your Sewing Spaces by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Meet the Maker: Libs Elliott (@libselliott)
- Meet the Maker: Jen Kingwell (@jenkingwell)
- Meet the Maker: Rachelle Denneny (@rachelledennenydesigns)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): One HRT at a Time
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Changes
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: What's your favourite thing about your sewing space?
- Quilt Group Profile: Indianapolis Modern Quilt Guild, Indiana, USA (@indymqg)
- Library: Oh Scrap by Lissa Alexander, Modern Plus Sign Quilts by Cheryl Brickey & Paige Alexander, Stash Statement by Kelly Young, and Nine-Patch Revolution by Jenifer Dick & Angela Walters