We love quilts that feature classic blocks, geometric shapes or improv… but don’t forget that quilting can be a way to illustrate your favourite things through pictorial quilts. You can embrace novelty fabrics – and we tell you how to use them best, or you can use techniques from your quilting toolbox to create picture quilts. We’ve got some great picture quilt patterns made with various techniques including applique and foundation paper piecing – whether it’s records, pineapples, sailboats, cupcakes or coffee pots that take your fancy.
In Issue 18, we MEET the queen of EPP, Jodi Godfrey, from Tales of Cloth and designer extraordinaire Katy Devlin of Lethargic Lass. We MAKE projects using a variety of quilting techniques – dresdens, applique, foundation piecing, as well as the favourite regular piecing; and we MOTIVATE you to get that novelty stash out and start using it in your projects!
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$9, CA$11, €7 or £6).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Modern Dresden Circles Quilt by Sharon Holland (@sharonhollanddesigns)
- Mother Goose Modern Baby Quilt by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Crystal Springs Quilt by Vicki Ruebel (@orchidowlquilts)
- Double Colorado Quilt by Rebecca Cottongim (@aquilterschaos)
- Rainbow Ring Pincushion by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel)
- Cute Little Cupcake Mini Quilt by Tania Denyer (@iamgingerq)
- Rise Quilt by Katy Devlin (@lethargiclass)
- Misty Mountains Mini Quilt by Anne Boundy (@said_with_love)
- Travelling Postage Stamp Quilt by Ashleigh Snigg (@ashbreedesigns)
- Shades of Zilch Quilt by Cathie Devenney (@cathied1995)
- Island Illusion Mini Quilt by Erica Shockey (@openinvitationquilts)
- Sail Away Baby Quilt by Jaymi Horne (@crankykangaroo)
- Six Coffees and a Tea Mini Quilt by Catherine Chisholm (@knottedcotton)
- Twist on Tradition Sampler Part 6 by Susan Emory (@swirlygirlsdesign)
- The Art of Block Swapping by Martina Bahre (@avaandneve)
- Novelty Prints by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gallery: #thepincushionproject by Amanda Jean Nyberg (@crazymomquilts)
- Meet the Maker: Jodi Godfrey (@talesofcloth)
- Meet the Maker: Katy Devlin (@lethargiclass)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Exercise Your Quads
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Nobody is an Island
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: How do you use novelty fabrics?
- Quilt Group Profile: SYDModSquad, NSW, Australia (@sydmodsquad)
- Library: Fussy Cutters Club by Angie Wilson, Pretty Handmades by Lauren Wright, A Piece of Cake by Peta Pearce, and Long Arm Quilting Workbook by Teresa Silva