Even though our tastes run towards the modern end here at MM, it doesn’t mean we can’t find inspiration in quilts from times past. In fact, one of our Editor’s obsessions is picking up vintage quilt books second hand and finding inspiration in their musty pages. Whether you’re looking at popular colourways from decades past of thinking of how you can set an old block in a fresh layout, we love vintage inspired modern quilts. We’ve got an extensive article on finding inspiration from these old beauties. Speaking of inspiration, if you’ve lost you sewing motivation, we’ve got plenty of tips from our readers for how to get that sewjo back!
This issue, we MAKE stars, circles, flying geese and vintage inspired modern quilts. We MEET quilting superstar Denyse Schmidt and Wendy Welsh. We MOTIVATE you to find your sewing motivation again if it’s gone missing, and to look to old books for new inspiration.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$10, CA$11, €8 or £7).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Round and Round Quilt by Mary Gregory (@seemaryquilt)
- Glow Quilt by Samantha Green (@fortheloveoffabric)
- Scrap-o-Dealy-o Quilt by Shannon Mower
- Zeroing In Mini Quilt by Melissa Dunworth (@sewbittersweetdesigns)
- Silver Linings Cushion by Alison Fanthorpe (@thebaronessdesigns)
- Catch a Falling Star FPP Baby Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Geese and Goslings FPP Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Hopscotch Mat by Jackie Reeve (@orangeroomquilts)
- Palma by Carol Palmer (@abikingviking)
- Candy Drops Quilt by Sheila Christensen (@mysteryquilter)
- Dandy Whirl Mini Quilt by Sarah J Maxwell (@sjmax105)
- Twist on Tradition Sampler Part 3 by Susan Emory (@swirlygirlsdesign)
- Help! I've Lost My Sewjo by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Quarter Inch of Quirk by Angie Wilson & Kristy Lea (@quarterinchofquirk)
- Vintage Quilt Books by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gallery: 100 Days 100 Blocks by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel)
- Meet the Maker: Denyse Schmidt (@dsquilts)
- Meet the Maker: Wendy Welsh (@wendysquiltsandmore)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Eight Half Square Triangles
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Do I need a Blog?
- Agony Aunt Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Ask the Makers: What do you wish you knew ages ago that makes quilting life easier?
- Library: No Scrap Left Behind by Amanda Jean Nyberg, Weekend Quilting by Jemima Flendt of Tied with a Ribbon, Modern Machine Quilting by Catherine Redford, and Charm School by Vanessa Goertzen