It’s no secret that the MM crew has a waste-not-want-not philosophy that definitely extends to fabric – most specifically selvedges (AKA selvages in the USA). The trend to print bright, bold selvedges with different fonts and patterns has led to a rise in modern selvage quilting. Our Jane is a huge fan, so she’s written a comprehensive article to get you started on finding your selvedge sewjo, and created a great beginners modern selvage quilting project that will make the most of your cutest selvedges.
In this issue (where you’ll discover our brand new look), we MEET Stephanie Palmer and Gina Ferraro. We MAKE a great range of gorgeous projects, whether you love EPP, FPP, pixel quilting, low volumes or oversized piecing. We MOTIVATE you to get worldly by exploring quilting in Japan, give the low down on basic sewing machine maintenance, and get you looking at those selvedges (they’re not rubbish!!) in a whole new light.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Shades of Sea Glass Cushion by Heather Seminelli (@qacreations)
- Hexie Stars Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- You Hold The Key Quilt by Stephanie Palmer (@latenightquilter)
- Reunion Quilt by Stacey O'Malley (@slostudio)
- Low Volume Log Cabin Quilt by Jenn Nevitt (@mommysew)
- Love Birds Quilt by Leanne Parsons (@devotedquilter)
- Diamonds Quilt by Moira de Carvalho (@quilttalking)
- Slevhex Cushion by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Colour Block Quilt by Jessica Skultety (@quiltyhabit)
- Sliced Quilt by Megan Nichols (@citystitches)
- Twist on Tradition Sampler Quilt Part 1 by Susan Emory (@swirlygirlsdesign)
- Quilting in Japan by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Sewing Machine Maintenance by Jennifer Hoskisson (@jeifner)
- Selvedge Love by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Gallery: Selvage Challenge from Stash Builder Box @stashbuilderbox
- Meet the Maker: Stephanie Palmer (@latenightquilter)
- Meet the Maker: Gina Ferraro (@partyofeightourstory)
- Meet the Maker: Nichole Vogelsinger (@wildboho)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Quilting? On Point!
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): Ask
- MQG Profile: Orlando, Florida (@orlandomqc)
- Ask the Makers: What makes your heart sing?
- Library: A Common Thread - A Collection of Quilts by Gwen Marston, Quilting is My Therapy by Angela Walters, Piecing Makeover by Patty Murphy, and Transfer Embellish Stitch by Jen Fox and Sarah Case