Sewn projects make great gifts – you can hand make something with love while indulging in your favourite passion at the same time. This issue of MM features plenty of projects that’ll make great gifts – from a selection of modern baby quilt patterns, to quick cushions, to whimsical applique, to a sewing machine cover or tablet cosy. Of course, there are plenty of full size quilt patterns which would make the perfect present too. Expand your knowledge with our articles on needle know-how, and modern batik fabrics.
This issue we MEET Karen Lewis, Sedef Imer and Cheryl Brickey. We MAKE some fabulous modern baby quilts, recycle old jeans, and use our favourite techniques including patchwork, HSTs and FPP. We MOTIVATE you to take a look at modern batik fabrics – they’ve come a long way and remind you of the importance of knowing which needle to use for which job (trust us, it makes a difference!).
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$10 (approx. US$7, CA$9, €6 or £5).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Blue Jean Baby Quilt by Lara Motta (@luellabella)
- Pretty Fly Quilt by Kathy Thorncraft (@iamcraftykat)
- To the Stars Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Half Circle Mirror Quilt by Cheryl Brickey (@meadowmistdesigns)
- Donut Love Mini Quilt by Tania Denyer (@iamgingerq)
- Glitter Star Cushion by Emily Lang (@mommysnaptime)
- Sewing Machine Cover by Carlie Lincoln (@quilty_carlie)
- Up and Away Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Pinwheel Pin-Up Quilt by Vicki Ruebel (@orchidowlquilts)
- Perryfield Street Mini Quilt by Justine Parker (@juzziepdesigns)
- Kaleidoscope Quilt Sampler Part 6 by Lori Hartman (@lorihartmandesigns)
- Sewing with Kids: Tablet Cosy by Tricia Mathis
- Modern Batiks by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Hand and Needle (@handneedle)
- Needle Know How by Jennifer Hoskisson (@jeifner)
- MM Mini Mini Quilts Challenge (#mmminimini)
- Gallery: Blueberry Park Swap hosted by Nina (@bossyoz)
- Meet the Maker: Karen Lewis (@karenlewistextiles)
- Meet the Maker: Cheryl Brickey (@meadowmistdesigns)
- Meet the Maker: Sedef Imer (@downgrapevinelane)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Flying Geese from a FQ
- The Hustle by Angie Wilson (@gnomeangel): It's Hard Work
- MQG Profile: Chattanooga, Tennessee (@chattmqg)
- Ask the Makers: What inspires you?
- Library: Sew Illustrated by Minki Kim and Kristin Esser, 180 Doodle Quilting Designs by Karen M Burns, By the Bundle by Emma Jean Jansen, and Madly Modern Quilts by Carole Lyles Shaw