Welcome to the very first issue of Make Modern – Australia’s only dedicated modern quilting magazine. As you dig into the magazine, you’ll discover we don’t take ourselves too seriously, but we take our craft very seriously. We’re all about doing your best work and growing as quilters, while exploring the popular modern quilting aesthetic. In each issue you will find a variety of projects using different techniques and catering to different skill levels. You will also find an interesting mix of articles in every issue.
This issue is packed with a range of great projects, from quilts to pillows to kitchen decor. MAKE gorgeous quilts using a range of techniques, including straight line quilting, 3D piecing, foundation paper piecing, curved piecing, applique and patchwork. MEET the makers behind Cat & Vee, and Alyce Blyth of Blossom Heart Quilts. MOTIVATE yourself to learn straight line quilting, curate a workable fabric stash or start a new sampler.
Make Modern magazines are jam-packed with modern quilt patterns suitable for beginner quilters to advanced, and articles about modern quilting guaranteed to make you smile, inspire you to quilt outside your comfort zone, and start making modern quilts today. Our beautiful patchwork magazine is published independently by a team of quilters, and priced at just AU$12 (approx. US$10, CA$11, €8 or £7).
*Price in AUD converted to your currency during checkout. Make Modern is a digital modern quilt magazine available worldwide. Instantly download the 100+ page PDF to your device and print pages as you like.
- Circlet Quilt by Serena Edwards (@sewgiving)
- Pavement Puddles Quilt by Melissa Gottliebsen (@msmidge)
- Pretty Petals Cushion by Anorina Morris (@sameliasmum)
- Eat Your Words Placemats by Cat&Vee (@hellofromvee)
- Bright Side of the Moon Selvedge Quilt by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Hexie Pincushion by Lara Motta (@luellabella)
- Easy As Pie Kitchen Set by Gina Ferraro (@partyofeightourstory)
- Frozen Blooms Quilt by Kelly Elliott (@thequiltmachine)
- Trip Around the Universe Cushions by Molli Sparkles (@molli_sparkles)
- Puzzled Table Runner by Juliet van der Heijden (@tartankiwi)
- Storybook Quilt by Ruth Bourke (@cbcraftcorner)
- Betty Hearts Fabric Mini Quilt by Kristy Lea (@quietplay)
- Aurora Sampler Quilt Part 1 by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Sewing with Kids: Simple Nine-Patch Quilt by Brooke & Lily
- Stash Happens: Building & maintaining a workable fabric stash by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Instagram for Quilters: A what, why and how guide by Jane Kelly (@janekellyquilts)
- Memory Cats: A Scrappy Modern Memory Quilt from Jo King (@riddlingwhimsy)
- Finding the Right Longarmer by Anne Beier (@hudsonvalleyquilts)
- Gallery: Schnitzel & Boo Mini Quilt Swap hosted by Kristi (@schnitzelandboo)
- Meet the Maker: Catherine Demack & Vanita Snell (@hellofromvee)
- Meet the Maker: Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts)
- Maths + Methods by Alyce Blyth (@blossomheartquilts): Resize Any Quilt Block
- Domestic Quilting Goddess, Melissa Gottliebsen (@msmidge): An Introduction to Straight Line Quilting
- Ask the Makers: What's your favourite quilt tool?
- Library: Fun-Size Quilts by 17 Popular Designers, Sew Cute to Carry by Melanie McNeice, and Quilt-As-You-Go Made Modern by Jera Branvig